A simple product is the most common product type in WooCommerce. If you’re not familiar with products or product types, please read this article first — “Adding and managing products with WooCommerce”. It will give you a clear understanding on different product types and how to create them step by step. Usually variable products are the ones with the extra options, but Improved Product Options plugin adds attribute swatches selection and extra custom options to simple product type too. Need more info on Improved Product Options for WooCommerce and Variable Products use? Navigate here → “How to create great looking color swatches for your WooCommerce Variable Products?”.
How to use extra options and attribute swatches with Simple Products?
At first, we need to configure the Improved Product Options for WooCommerce plugin to work with simple product. Navigate to WooCommerce>Settings>Improved Options and click the General tab. Set the Attribute Selection Support option to All Products (Simple Products).
Once this option is set, our simple products are ready to go! We can set attribute swatches and extra product options! To do this, follow these steps.
- Make sure the option WooCommerce>Settings>Improved Options>General>Attribute Selection Support is set to All Products (Simple Products).
- Click the Product Options tab.
- Choose Attribute Swatch then click the Add Item + button.
- Select attribute Color that you’ve already made and that you’ve used in simple products.
- Make sure the option Attribute Is Selectable (Simple Products) is set to ON. If Attribute Is Selectable (Simple Products) options is set to OFF an attribute will not be used for selection in simple products.
- Click the Paint/Cog icon and Terms Manager will appear.
- Now, style the attribute terms! Choose style Color and set the term colors.
- Click X to close the Terms Manager. Then click Save!
All done! Let’s see how that looks!
See how easy that was. Couple of clicks and we’ve made our simple product attribute selectable and even styled those into color swatch options! These attributes are styled globally, so any simple product that has these attached will get the swatches in product pages. Let’s see how that looks.
Further we can set thumbnails, buttons even HTML custom swatches for any simple product attribute. Explore the options and you’ll have a wonderful set of swatches for WooCommerce simple products too! Take a note that simple products don’t provide stock support, backorder notification, image switching and similar functions. If you want these features, you will need to use WooCommerce Variable Products. Need more info on Improved Product Options for WooCommerce and Variable Products use? Navigate here → “How to create great looking color swatches for your WooCommerce Variable Products?”.